Friday, January 11, 2013

The Night Circus: Book Review

The Night Circus

Author: Erin Morgenstern
ISBN: 9780385534635
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 387
Publish Date: September 13, 2011
Publisher: Doubleday
Language: English

Teaser: "The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazement. It is called Le Cirque de Reves."

(Information found on Overstock)

It is hard to give this book the review I want it to because you have to read it to really and truly get the experience. So I will start by saying I absolutely LOVED!! this book. It was hard to get into at parts but once I was in and reading it, it was like I was actually there. It made me want to close my eyes and just imagine, especially during the circus chapters Morgenstern gave wonderful imagery, and descriptions of the other senses that people could and most have had the pleasure of sensing.

The whole book jumps between 3 main people Celia, Marco (Enemies and Lovers), and Baliey (who truly comes in to more importance towards the end). As you can guess most of the setting is during a circus but not the a circus that most of us are accustomed to. I would have to say it is more Burton-esqued (Tim Burton), with the black, white, and silver theme. Yet other aspects would remind you of Pans Labyrinth by Guillermo del Toro with intricate details to the smallest of items.

The elements of magic and illusion are ones that keep you just at the level of mystery, with magicians, card readers, tents the defy even the simplest of life's' wonders.

If there is something that you would really like to know about the book before you read comment and I will let you know what I can.

xo Miss Cylient

No comments:

Post a Comment